10 SEO tips for small businesses
What is SEO and what can it be used for?
SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” It is the marketing process focused on getting traffic from the “free,” “organic,” “editorial” or “natural” search engine results. All major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo have primary search results, where web pages and other content are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to its users. SEO can be utilised for many reasons, but is mainly used to improve rankings, drive traffic and increase awareness in search engines through both technical and creative elements. In addition, it is a great way of increasing the quality of websites by making them user-friendly, faster and easier to navigate.
10 SEO Tips For Small Businesses:
- 1) Start doing SEO ASAP. The later you start, the further ahead your competitors will be, and the harder it will become to rank higher than them.
- 2) The newer your website is, the more patient you will need to be with it. It takes time to build credibility and trust, and until you’ve developed both, you cannot expect to outrank older, more established sites.
- 3) You shouldn’t just post your content and walk away. Use Google Analytics to find out how many visitors your site gets, the keywords they use to find it, and what pages they visit.
- 4) Add a blog to your website as blogs are an easy and simple way of adding new pages of shareable content to your site.
- 5) Remove any duplicated content as you can be penalised for having the same content on multiple pages of your site.
- 6) Search engine algorithms change frequently. So, to keep good rankings you need to adapt your SEO strategy as search engines evolve over time.
- 7) Leave comments on relevant websites and blogs. This will help build trust and relationships with people – both the site owners and visitors to those sites.
- 8) Be ahead of the competition. Find out what the sites ranking on the 1st page for the keywords have done, on-site and off-site, to get in that position.
- 9) SEO is cost effective. You can get big results on a small budget if you invest time in creating good content.
- 10) Remember to market the content you create. If you create content without marketing it then people will struggle to find it, meaning it’s unlikely they will link to it or share it.